For today’s show we welcome back Brandon Buchanan, to discuss the intriguing results of our 2022 NFT Awards where we surveyed friends of the show and look at the top four PFPs.
This category of the awards was by far the most popular, receiving more votes than any other. And we have to be honest, there were some surprises! We get to hear some really interesting perspectives from Brandon on our top four projects, Doodles, Nouns, Bored Ape Yacht Club, and CryptoPunks. We discuss Pharrell Williams’ involvement with Doodles, how Bored Ape Yacht Club rewrote the playbook for NFTs, the unusual roadmap that Nouns have created for themselves, and why CryptoPunks are still the most important player in the history of the game.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Building a brand beyond the world of NFTs; Brandon’s thoughts on funding and investment.
- Weighing Pharrell Williams’ decision to come on board with Doodles and what this means.
- Nouns’ daily options and the implications of this relating to pricing and demand.
- Looking at the Nouns trajectory and the long horizon they have laid out.
- Board Ape Yacht Club’s serious impact on the PFP sphere, and their polarising status.
- Misunderstandings about the way that Bored Ape flipped the crypto playbook.
- Considering the influence of fashion, memes, and more general rules of branding.
- Why CryptoPunks are the Michael Jordan of the NFT PFP space!
- Thoughts on the role of the CryptoPunks founders and why they broke the mould.
“I like that we are moving away from this idea that PFPs are just there to flex. I like this idea that NFTs can be a gateway to community, a gateway to participating in governance.” — Brandon Buchanan [0:07:14]
“I think Bored Ape’s contribution to the NFT space, particularly with the the PFPs has to be revered, they have done so much across the board.” — Brandon Buchanan [0:33:51]